Lexicoblog

The occasional ramblings of a freelance lexicographer

Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Working in portrait rather than landscape

When I first went freelance, some 11 years ago now, I bought myself a really nice Samsung monitor, which is still going strong. One of the features I liked about it was that you could rotate the screen so that you could work with it 'portrait' rather than 'landscape'. It was great for working on Word documents as you could have almost the whole page on screen together - after all, we still lay out our documents that way, don't we? It felt like a much more logical way to work. Sadly, because the software that came with the screen was on a floppy disk (yes, remember those?!), when I upgraded to my most recent pc, I couldn't install it (and couldn't find anything online). The screen still worked fine, I just couldn't rotate it.

Yesterday though, via one of those random trains of thought and through the wonders of the internet, I discovered that you can simply rotate the display on any computer just by pressing Ctrl + Alt + an arrow key. The left and right arrows turn it sideways, the down key makes it upside down and the up key brings it back the right way up. Go on, give it a go!

Thus my screen now rotates again and I've been happily working away on portrait style documents!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger BR said...

God I wish they still made workable aspect monitors. 4:3 was perfect for this....

8:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home